Advice hub. Mental Health First Aid
Mental Health First Aid.
Become one of Hospitality Action’s qualified Mental Health First Aiders by completing our accredited 2-day programme. We offer open online courses or can arrange our trainer to hold MHFA or bespoke sessions onsite for your teams.
Course dates for 2023:
- February - Wednesday 8th and Thursday 9th
- June - Wednesday 21st and Thursday 22nd
- September - Wednesday 20th and Thursday 21st
MHFA doesn’t train you to be a therapist but to spot the signs if someone is experiencing a crisis and how to initially support them (just as a with physical first aid),
It also gives learners a knowledge around mental health stigma and illnesses including; Depression, Anxiety, Suicide , Self Harm, Eating Disorders and Psychosis.
MHFA takes a holistic person-centred approach to mental health and mental ill-health, it takes into account both the social model and medical model of mental illness. The skills learnt in MHFA can also come in useful when looking after your own wellbeing.
Those who attend the whole course become accredited Mental Health First Aiders and hold the qualification for 3 years as happens with a physical first aid courses.
Train as a Mental Health First Aider (MHFAider®) and receive three years of support and benefits.
This course is ideal for those who would like to become an MHFAider® to:
- Gain the knowledge and skills to spot signs of people experiencing poor mental health
- Be confident starting a conversation and signpost a person to appropriate support
Alongside the best evidence-based Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) training, MHFAiders® are also provided with three-year access to ongoing learning and support through the MHFAider Support App®.
The app gives you 24/7 digital support, access to exclusive resources, ongoing learning opportunities, and the benefit of joining England’s largest community of trained MHFAiders®.
Benefits of MHFA.
- Reduces stigma around mental ill health
- Gives you increased confidence to have a supportive conversation about mental health
- Promotes equity and understanding around mental health from different perspectives
- Helps to build supportive workplace/community and promotes open conversations about mental health
- Encourages self-care, giving you the tools to look after your own and others' mental health
- Promotes early intervention and recovery, which can prevent an individual's mental health deteriorating
As an MHFAider® you will be able to:
- Recognise those that may be experiencing poor mental health and provide them with first-level support and early intervention
- Encourage a person to identify and access sources of professional help and other supports
- Practise active listening and empathy
- Have a conversation with improved mental health literacy around language and stigma
- Discuss the role in depth, including boundaries and confidentiality
- Practise self-care
Why choose Hospitality Action?
All of our content is designed specifically for the unique demands of the hospitality sector. We understand the challenges our industry can bring and we make sure our content is geared towards the operational reality of our fast-paced and demanding workplaces.
If you also subscribe to our EAP, your MHFA practitioners will also benefit from access to our 24/7 EAP assistance line for advice and support from our clinicians.
We can also offer onsite MHFA training to UK hospitality business please email email@example.com for further details.
About our trainer.
Emma Keeble, Hospitality Action Ambassador, MHFA England Instructor Member and HR Consultant, Anchor People
Emma is accredited to deliver mental health workshops on behalf of MHFA England and these are licensed by Public Health England.
Emma provides safe spaces for learners and believes in the importance of sharing her own lived experience of mental ill health in order to tackle stigma and ensure that no one has to suffer in silence
Previous to setting up Anchor People and providing companies with Mental Health training and wellbeing support, Emma was People Director for a hospitality management company (and EAP subscriber for many years) and had worked in the hospitality industry for over 20 years, this understanding of the industry really helps when adding real life examples to her sessions.